Schedule a Free Consultation With a Top-Tier Shelbyville Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
At Noakes Law Group, our Shelbyville motorcycle accident lawyers provide aggressive and solutions-focused legal representation to injured victims and their family members. Our firm has helped injured victims secure millions in financial compensation across our practice areas. Were you or a loved one hurt in a motorcycle crash? We can help. Contact our Shelbyville motorcycle accident lawyer for a free, no-obligation consultation.
The Steps You Should Take After a Motorcycle Crash in Shelbyville, Kentucky
Hurt in a motorcycle crash in Shelbyville or elsewhere in Shelby County? There are some all-too-common mistakes that you need to avoid. A proactive approach can make all of the difference in the claims process. Here are four essential steps to take:
- Stop Your Motorcycle and Call the Police: Under Kentucky law, all riders should stop their motorcycle and remain at the scene of the collision. Report the crash to the Shelbyville Police Department or another law enforcement agency.
- Get Prompt Medical Attention: All motorcycle accident injuries should be evaluated by a doctor. Your physical and mental well-being are the top priority. Further, you need supporting medical records to bring a personal injury claim
- Document the Cause and Severity of Your Crash: Take photographs of the crash scene, including all vehicles involved, any skid marks, road conditions, and traffic signs. The more documentation you have, the better positioned you will be to get justice.
- Consult With a Top Motorcycle Accident Attorney: You may be asked to provide a recorded statement to an insurance company relatively shortly after a motorcycle crash. Be sure to speak to a lawyer before you talk to an insurance company.
An Overview of Motorcycle Accident Liability
Kentucky is a choice no-fault state. It is a relatively unique motor vehicle insurance system in the United States. Under a no-fault system, each party’s own insurance covers their initial damages—regardless of who caused the accident. That being said, in Kentucky motorists and motorcyclists can opt out of the no-fault insurance system. Even if a motorcycle does have no-fault insurance, they may be able to step outside of the no-fault system and file a fault-based motorcycle accident injury lawsuit if they sustained serious injuries in the crash.
Of course, multiple parties may share legal liability for the same motorcycle collision. Under Kentucky law (K.R.S. § 411.182), motorcycle crashes are subject to a pure comparative negligence standard. Fault can be distributed among all of the parties involved in a crash. When this happens, each party to the collision will be held responsible for their share of the crash. If a motorcyclist is responsible for 20 percent of their accident in Shelbyville, they will be liable for 20 percent of their own damages. Every motorcycle crash in Shelby County should be thoroughly investigated by an experienced Shelbyville motorcycle accident attorney.
What is the Statute of Limitations for a Motorcycle Accident Injury Claim?
Under Kentucky law (K.R.S. § 413.140), there is a one-year statute of limitations for motorcycle accident injury claims in our state. What happens if you do not initiate a lawsuit in a timely manner? You will likely lose your right to take legal action at all. There are very few exceptions to the Commonwealth’s statute of limitations. Take a proactive approach: Consult with a top Shelbyville motorcycle crash lawyer as soon as you possibly can after a major crash.
Are Motorcycle Helmets Mandatory in Kentucky?
In Kentucky, motorcycle helmet laws require all riders under the age of 21 to wear a helmet. Beyond that, any rider who has a motorcycle instruction permit and any rider who has held their motorcycle license for less than one year must also wear a helmet. However, riders over 21 who have had their motorcycle license for more than a year are not required to wear a helmet.
That being said, all riders in Kentucky should wear a motorcycle helmet every time they get on their bike. Motorcycle helmets help to prevent traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). They can save lives. Federal highway safety officials estimate that motorcycle helmets reduce the risk of a fatality by nearly 40 percent.
We Help Injured Motorcyclists in Shelbyville Maximize their Financial Compensation
Involved in a serious motorcycle crash in Shelbyville? You need money damages to pay your bills. In Kentucky, motorcycle accident victims may be able to recover for tangible and intangible damages. Most motorcycle crash cases are handled by large insurance companies—and they do not make the claims process easy for motorcycle accident victims. Our Shelbyville, KY motorcycle accident lawyers are committed to helping injured riders secure the absolute maximum settlement or verdict. Through a civil legal claim, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Motorcycle repairs or motorcycle replacement
- Emergency medical treatment
- Hospital bills and other healthcare costs
- Long-term medical needs, including physical therapy
- Loss of wages and loss of earning power
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death of a family member
Why Trust the Shelbyville Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at Noakes Law Group
Motorcycle accident injury claims can be challenging. Sadly, too many motorcyclists face unjust stereotypes from law enforcement officers and insurance companies. At Noakes Law Group, we are proactive, justice-driven advocates for justice. When you contact us, you will be connected with a top Kentucky motorcycle accident lawyer who can:
- Listen to your story and answer your personal injury questions.
- Investigate your motorcycle wreck—helping you secure relevant evidence.
- Advocate for you in any settlement negotiations with the insurer.
- Prepare your case to go the distance to maximize your financial recovery.
Contact Our Shelbyville Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
At Noakes Law Group, our Shelbyville, KY motorcycle accident attorneys fight tirelessly to get results for injured victims. Hurt in a motorcycle wreck? You need a reliable advocate on your team. Contact us today for your free, no-obligation consultation. We represent motorcycle accident victims in Shelbyville, Shelby County, and throughout the wider region of Kentucky.