NOAKES LAW GROUP
Louisville Personal Injury Attorney
Your Kentucky Personal Injury
Helping Injured Victims in Louisville & Throughout Kentucky
Louisville is Kentucky’s largest city, and for good reason. Sitting along the Ohio River, Louisville offers culture, entertainment, access to nature, industry, and, of course, the Derby. With a population of nearly 1.4 million, though, accidents and injuries are common. At Noakes Law Group, our Louisville personal injury attorneys can provide legal representation if someone else’s negligence has caused you or a loved one harm.
Call Our Lousiville, KY Law Office Today
Noakes Law Group
10200 Forest Green Blvd. Suite 112
Louisville, KY 40223
Tel: (502) 777-7854
What Is a Personal Injury Claim?
A personal injury claim is a type of civil action that is brought when one person’s negligence causes harm to another, and the injured person wants to seek monetary compensation for their damages. A civil action is completely separate from a criminal action, and many civil offenses are not necessarily crimes.
Elements of a Personal Injury Lawsuit
In order to win a personal injury lawsuit, you (the plaintiff) must be able to prove four elements by a preponderance of the evidence. A preponderance of the evidence means that it is more likely than not.
- Duty. Duty means that the defendant in the case had an obligation to act with a certain standard of care as it pertained to their relationship with you. For example, all drivers on the road have a duty to others to operate their vehicles responsibly.
- Breach of duty. You’ll need to prove that the defendant did something to breach the duty of care owed to you—for example, speeding or running a red light.
- Causation. Next, you’ll have to prove that the breach of duty of care was the proximate cause of your injuries. In other words, you’ll have to prove that your injuries would not have occurred but for the other party’s negligence.
- Damages. Finally, you’ll need to prove the damages you’ve suffered. Both economic and noneconomic damages are recoverable.
Types of Cases We Work on
Our Louisville personal injury attorney has experience working on a wide range of personal injury claim types, including:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Dog bite claims
- Medical malpractice claims
- Premises liability accidents
- Defective product claims
Please call our law office directly to schedule a free consultation to learn more about the types of claims we work on and whether you have a viable case.
Our law firm is committed to working hard to get you the settlement that you deserve. Types of damages recoverable in a KY personal injury claim include:
- Economic damages. Economic damages are damages for actual monetary losses, such as property damage, lost wages, and medical expenses. You are entitled to compensation in full for your economic losses.
- Noneconomic damages. Noneconomic damages are harder to calculate and refer to damages for pain and suffering. It’s important to work with an attorney who can guide you through the various methods for calculating non-economic damages.
One factor which can reduce the amount of compensation you receive is your own degree of fault. For example, you might not have been paying attention when a speeding motorist hits you, or you could have tripped and fallen because you failed to watch where you were walking. In these examples, a victim shares some fault for the accident, so their compensation is reduced. As an example, if you are 50% to blame, you will receive only half of the compensation you could. If you were a third to blame, then you would receive two thirds.
What to Look for In a Personal Injury Attorney
Louisville has hundreds of personal injury lawyers to choose from, so how do you know if Noakes Law is the right law firm for you? When shopping for a lawyer after an accident, we recommend that you look for the following:
- Experience. Your attorney should have ample experience in personal injury law. A divorce lawyer might be a nice guy and know his way around a divorce court, but that doesn’t mean he can bring an effective personal injury claim.
- Passion. You want a lawyer who is passionate about justice for accident victims. The other party across the courtroom is usually an insurance firm with thousands of employees and millions of dollars in profits. We aren’t afraid to take on these big firms on behalf of our clients.
- Knowledge. Obtaining fair compensation is harder than it looks. A skilled advocate should have detailed knowledge of Kentucky personal injury law and use that knowledge to their client’s advantage.
To help you decide whether we are the right firm for you, we can meet for a free consultation. This will allow us to discuss in more detail the services we provide.
5 Mistakes to Avoid in a Personal Injury Case
Most of our clients receive fair compensation for their injuries. But there are certain mistakes which can make a financial recovery much harder. If possible, avoid these mistakes following an accident:
- Don’t admit fault. Because Kentucky recognizes comparative negligence, you will likely reduce the amount of compensation you receive if you admit being responsible in any way for your injuries.
- Don’t negotiate a settlement on your own. Insurers would love nothing more than to see you unrepresented by legal counsel. They know that few people can properly value their claims or negotiate effectively.
- Avoid giving a recorded statement without a lawyer present. An insurer could try to trick you into saying something that undermines your legal claim. It’s best to always have your lawyer sitting in on any conversation you have related to your claim.
- Avoid delay. You don’t get forever to file a lawsuit and vindicate your rights. Please reach out to Noakes Law as soon as possible. If you don’t meet deadlines, you could forfeit your right to sue.
- Don’t assume you have no case. We see many people decide that it’s just not worth it to seek compensation for a personal injury. Let us analyze the facts to determine what is the right course to take.
What Are You Waiting For?
Don’t make the mistake of waiting too long to seek legal representation and bring forth a case when your future is on the line. If you’ve been injured, you deserve to be compensated. If you’ve been discriminated against you deserve justice. Reach out to us today online or by phone to schedule your free case review and learn more about legal services.
CALL US TODAY 502.777.7854
Call Our Louisville Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you have been injured in an accident that you believe would not have happened but for the failure of another party to uphold the duty of care owed to you, call our Louisville personal injury attorney at the office of Noakes Law today. We offer free consultations and work on a contingency fee basis.
"I called Noakes Law and they took care of everything. They took my case seriously and treated me so well. They care about you and getting you what you deserve."
Personal Injury Client
"I honestly cannot say enough good about Noakes Law. I was in an auto accident which had several different variables that make my case very difficult to navigate. Ms. Noakes and her team were top notch and went above and beyond to help me. I HIGHLY recommend this law firm to anyone!"
Personal Injury Client