Whether you live in Kentucky, Indiana, or other states, car accidents pose serious risks. Crashes and collisions are unfortunately common and can cause potentially life-threatening harm for drivers and passengers involved. Our Kentucky car accident attorney provides the professional legal representation victims and their families need in filing a claim and explains some of the most common causes.
Reckless Driving A Leading Cause of Car Crashes
Car accidents are a leading cause of death and disability throughout the United States and it is important for all motorists to be aware of the potential risks. According to the Kentucky Transportation Center, more than 100,000 people are injured in car accidents throughout our area each year and reckless driving is one of the leading causes.
Even if you take precautions and follow all traffic rules and regulations, the actions of other motorists can leave you suffering serious harm. Common types of reckless driving behaviors that are responsible for crashes and collisions include:
- Distracted driving: This may involve texting while behind the wheel, using cell phones to make calls or check emails, changing GPS settings, or engaging in any activity that distracts your attention from the road.
- Driving under the influence: This is one of the most common and potentially dangerous reckless driving behaviors and may involve alcohol, recreational drugs, or medications.
- Drowsy driving: Missing even an hour of sleep can cause the same types of driving impairments as being under the influence and increases the risk of falling asleep behind the wheel.
- Aggressive driving: Speeding, following other motorists too closely, improper passing, and failing to yield are all examples of aggressive behavior that can put you and other motorists at risk.
Other Common Causes of Collisions
When you are involved in a car accident due to reckless behavior on the part of other drivers, you have the right to hold them responsible for property damages, medical expenses, and other costs. However, crashes and collisions are complex events and there may be other contributing causes involved. According to Justia, these may include:
- Adverse weather conditions: Rain, ice, and fog can all make roads treacherous and increase car accident risks.
- Road conditions: Car accidents are more likely to happen on dirt or gravel roads, in areas under construction, and on roads that are poorly planned or improperly maintained.
- Automotive defects: Vehicle design defects or problems with tires, brakes, or other parts are common contributing causes of car accidents. In many cases, the vehicle manufacturer or parts distributor can be held accountable.
Our Kentucky Car Accident Attorney Helps You Get Compensation
At Noakes Law Group, we help victims of car accidents and their families get the compensation they are entitled to in a claim. You can count on our experienced car accident attorney to investigate your case, determine how and why it happened, and hold those at fault accountable. To get the professional legal representation you need to protect yourself and your rights, call or contact us online and request a consultation in our Kentucky or Indiana office today.